Be Hip to the Sheen in Athens
Choosing paint can be confusing at first as there are so many paints on the market. But with a little understanding of the different types of paint, you will quickly become a paint finish expert! Or you will at least be able to consult with your Athens painting contractor armed with a little knowledge about the various finishes available for your interior painting project.
The most common types of paint are: flat, satin or eggshell, semi-gloss, and gloss.
What is Paint Sheen?
Paint sheen is the level of glossiness in paint. In other words, high gloss paint will make your walls look somewhat shiny while a flat paint won’t have any shine. This is important for you because certain sheen paints a better for certain rooms in your Athens home. For example, flat paint conceals scratches and other pre existing wall imperfections well, so it would be a good choice for hallway walls in a household with children. Read below to learn about each paint sheen type.
- Commonly used on most walls
- Lowest sheen
- Smooth, matte finish
- Conceals wall imperfections
- Best for painting uneven surfaces or drywall
Satin or Eggshell
- Slight sheen
- Brings warmth and depth to a room
- Easier to clean than compared to flat paint
- Very durable
- Easiest to clean
- Does NOT conceal imperfections
- Often used in kitchens and bathrooms
- Also frequently used in children’s bedrooms
- Most durable of all paints
- Highest sheen
- Used for doors being that it is so durable
- Good for trimming baseboard and door frames
Additional Considerations: Oil or Latex Paint?
Most paints come with a base option of oil or latex. Your decision will be based on several factors such as what surface you will be painting and what room you will be applying the paint to.Oil Paint
- Better Abrasion resistance
- Higher gloss
- More durable then latex
- Smoother application than latex
- Seals stains well
- Harder to clean up after using oil based paint
- More popular because It’s easier to clean up, less odor, and overall easier to manage
- Water Based
- Fast drying
- Easy to apply
- Resists yellowing, fading and mildew
- Good for metal surfaces
- Best bet for kitchens, bathrooms and laundry rooms
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Marcy_Tate